On this 40-day journey, we join those who are joining the Catholic Church around the world and embark together on this time of going more deeply into our way of following Jesus in our relationship with God, our family, friends and neighbours.
It is a time of letting go of what cannot love us back to make space for what can!
Traditionally, the church community practices three ways of letting go and taking up: prayer, fasting, and almsgiving.
Some ideas for this week:
1) Consider with curiosity what is keeping you from listening to God’s quiet voice and keeping you at a distance from yourself?
2) Is there anything in your life that you are very attached to, that can’t love you back and is taking you away from those who do? What do you want to make more space for in your life?
1) Consider Pope Francis’ words: Do you want to fast this Lent? (See below)
2) Consider what you can practice letting go of to open space for sharing generously?
Almsgiving & Service
1) How will your fasting lead you to be a person sharing God’s abundant generosity with others?
2) What commitment can you make this Lent to practice generosity. Perhaps:
- a commitment of time to a weekly visit or checkin with someone who lives alone, in a care home or needs friendly support in the struggles of life.
- a commitment to intentional family time, a meal, game time or volunteering together.
- a commitment of finance to supporting the poor through Project Compassion, St Vincent de Paul or the Carmelite mission in Timor Leste.
- a commitment of service joining one of our church ministry groups, assisting as a volunteer at our parish school, volunteering in our local community.